Another award for Wynyard Walk, Sydney CBD
Wynyard Walk was announced on August 15, 2018 as the winner of the Engineering Excellence awards by Engineers Australia for the Infrastructure Category.
Windtech consultants assisted the contractor Theiss, architects Woods Bagot and structural consultants Taylor Thomson Whitting as the wind engineering consultant on this complex transport development and major pedestrian infrastruture, serving 33,000 pedestrians daily.
This project connects the existing Wynyard Train Station to the new Barangaroo waterfront precinct via a new civic entry building for Wynyard Station, a pedestrian tunnel, a western tunnel portal, a plaza and a bridge spanning Sussex Street.
Windtech assisted with the following studies:
- Assess the effect of the new tunnel connection on the wind conditions within the various tunnels that connect to Wynyard Station. It was concluded that the new western opening to the maze of tunnels leading to Wynyard Station will not adversely impact pedestrians within the tunnels.
- Model the wind conditions over the new pedestrian footbridge over Sussex Street and around the new Western Entry Portal (pictured). Windtech recommended partial screening along the southern side of the footbridge to achieve the required level of pedestrian comfort.
- Model the potential for wind driven rain penetrating the proposed portal canopy and likely impact on the area under the floating portal canopy and escalators. Windtech provide recommendation to mitigate the potential effect of the north-easterly and southerly winds during rain events by shaping the southern wall and extending the eastern overhang by approximately 2m.
- Windtech Consultants also provided accurate modelling of the wind loads and cladding pressures for the design of the floating portal canopy.
The Engineers Australia award comes on top of the following awards:
- AIA NSW – Heritage Architecture Finalist
- AIA NSW – Urban Design Finalist
- Property Council of Australia – Finalist for Best Public Building
- World Architecture News Awards – Transport
- National MBA Excellence Award – Civil/Infrastructure $25m and over
- NSW MBA Excellence Award – Civil Engineering $50m and over
- NSW MBA Excellence Award – Innovation in Construction Technique/Equipment
- NSW Consult Australia Awards – Design Innovation Award – Highly Commended
- NSW CIA Awards – Excellence in Infrastructure Projects
- ACSE Awards – Excellence in Structural Engineering – Large Building Projects
- NSW AIA Awards – Public Architecture – Commendations
- NSW AIA Awards – Urban Design – Commendations